Tuesday, November 27, 2007

One year older, and thankful...

My 24th birthday officially ended one hour and 43 minutes ago, but we all know the celebrating will last at least a week with some sporadic gifts, cards, and celebrations happening at least a month from now. That's just how it is. I found myself sniffling and aching late Saturday night. This nasty cold has survived all the sleep, emergen-c, hot tea, and even Tim's care one can imagine- and is still going strong. Despite this ailment, I had a pretty great birthday.
Tim brought me homemade hot chocolate crafted with Belgian chocolate bars and soy milk- delish!- while I lingered in the warmth of our bed. Then, just as I was getting out of bed, the fed-ex man showed up with some beautiful variated Peruvian Lilies sent with love from my dad. I assumed the duty of a flaneur most of the morning with Tim and Abe by my side. We went to Target and craft stores to get supplies for gifts and tag making, and anyone who has been into one of these stores with me knows I have to have a limited amount of money or I'd take one of everything available. I just love the endless possibilities of cardstock, embossing powder, ribbon, colors, and textures that line each and every isle. After exhausting the craft store isles or at least successfully comporting myself with a degree of restraint, we had worked up an appetite and decided to try out Zien Hong, recommended by pals E and Ali. I am so ecstatic to report I have finally found a place that serves vermicelli bowls and fish sauce (this may sound disgusting, but it actually tastes nothing like fish). Needless to say it was a lovely dining experience with superb service and scrumptious food. They even have young coconut juice served in a coconut shell- who could possibly ask for more?

On a completely different note, thanksgiving was not so shabby either. We went down to Salem, which I was admittedly apprehensive about. It was sad to be away from my family, but it was a good time with the help of some Riesling and a game of Apples to Apples. Which brings me to list a few of the things I am thankful for, in no particular order:
*Tim
*My Family
*Abe
*Securing a difficult but sometimes rewarding job
*Diane, Meghan, and Bay for helping me get through the rough nights at work
*People who are dedicated in researching and advancing medicine and understanding the holistic being of our species- special mention to Medtronic's Real Time monitor, which I have yet to acquire
*Eugene Langdon-inventor of Splenda
*Having the power of choice, and the health of mind to use it...
Quite honestly this list could go on and on, but for the sake of time (mine and yours) we will keep it short. Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and the upcoming holidays are splendid!

1 comment:

Ali and Evan said...

Happy Birthday Linds! We look forward to celebrating with you in the near future. Glad to hear that you are feeling better.