Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Marmalade is on his death bed

Our bright orange cichlid, marmalade, is near dead this afternoon. His fellow habitants of our TV console fish tank are all hiding in the shadows of the plants, anticipating indulgence in carnivorous delight. It is a sickening thought, as Marmalade was the bright entertainment that swam across the screen, the social one. Poor little guy. I hope he passes into the afterlife peacefully and has a plethora of brightly colored dames awaiting his arrival. So long Marmie, we will miss you dearly.
Alright then, onto a more pollyannaish subject. I have cured a portion of my homesickness! I returned late last night from Bozeman, MT where I was visiting my brother Chris at college. He seems to have picked the perfect location for himself. He dwells on the 9th floor of Roskie Hall- some of you may be familiar with their claim to fame in High Times Magazine. I stepped out of the elevator, the aroma of Ganja floating freely in the air. I walked down the hall to my brothers pod and was greeted by many friendly happy faces. There is no drama here, just good times. There are homemade informational posters covering the walls (each one considered a punishment for having been caught doing something against the rules). Some examples: why marijuana is bad for you, why slip and slides made out of garbage bags that line the hallways in the dorm is dangerous, etc.
Chris's dorm room window frames a horse pasture and barn nestled below the mountains. He is 15 minutes from the mountain and snowboarding, and he is 15 minutes from the river to go fly fishing, camping or hiking. Main street hosts blocks of independent shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and a friendly food co-op. It was a great place to visit, and seems like a fabulous place to live. Everyone was friendly and helpful and Chris's content was emanating from his pores. There was nothing unpleasant about my three day adventure and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to go see my brother and can't wait until our next family rendezvous.

No comments: