Friday, April 25, 2008

Insomnia

The woes of working 12 (really 13 or 14) hour night shifts are far too many to fully divulge here, but I would at least like to make one major complaint: insomnia. I have slept for seven hours in the past three days, only 2 of them being consecutive hours, and all were obtained between 10am and 7pm. In case you haven't already come to this conclusion, I am turning into a vampire, or at least have severely impaired functioning. My poor sleep habbits are partly due to going through such huge life changes, and partly because I am hormonal, and stressed, etc. But I would like to place most of the blame on night-shift. I cannot stay a prisoner to a dysfunctional schedule for much longer. My mother believes that there is a strong correlation between me working nights and the Iraq war. When I mentioned this to my manager, she laughed for a moment, then paused with a sobering frown and stated "If I thought that there was even a minuscule chance that Bush and Cheney would shrivel up in a tiny ball and evaporate, I would place you on day shift before you could blink your eye." In other words, I will not be making the switch to day shift at my current place of work. Therefore, I may have to look elsewhere.

For those of you who have not heard, my fiance Tim and I are parting ways. It sucks. It sucks real bad sometimes. But, this is life. He is going to be attending Emory for his MPH, which is his dream come true. He will have a whole new world to explore, and I'm sure his discoveries and adventures will leave him nothing short of elated. At least that is how I am envisioning the whole situation. He may even be able to land his fantasy job of being a professional peach taste tester- Georgia is, after all, the peach state.

So that leaves me with what I'm going to do now. The answer is: I really have no idea. I may be moving to Colorado, or I might become a traveling nurse and go to someplace warm with a beach (since Abe's first beach trip was revolutionary). Maybe Portugal or St. Johns or something. I don't know. But I have decided to embrace the mystery.

I have really pulled myself out of my funk. It may very well be lurking around the corner waiting to pounce when I least expect it, but bring it on. I even retired my sweats for a night out on the town (thank you Crystal). We had one hell of a night at work on Tuesday, easily one of the worst nights ever, so plans for mimosa breakfast turned into vodka breakfast. We slept for a couple hours and then got dolled-up to go to some fancy pharmaceutical dinner at Portland City Grill. Turns out we could not manage to get ready in time, so went to Masu Sushi for dinner instead. It was so delish! We sat at the bar and were chatted up by the adorable sushi chefs fitted in their hachimakis. Then ended up spending the remainder of the evening bar-hopping SE Portland in their company. It was very therapeutic for me to get out of the house and make some new friends. This girl is going to have to trade out her slippers for her leopard pumps a little more often! Have a happy weekend!

No comments: